Hair comes in different types. It’s important to know exactly the type of hair you have so that you can style and care for it properly. You could end up doing more damage if you don't understand the best way to take care of your hair.
Andre Walker, most known for styling Oprah's hair, created a hair typing system that is still used today. This system divides hair into four types.
Type One: Straight Hair
Straight hair is often thought of as the most resilient hair that you can have. Though it is hard to damage, it can be also hard to style. It is almost impossible to curl your hair when it is straight, and straight hair usually becomes oilier faster than other types of hair.
There are several ways you can style and care for straight hair.
- Wash every other day: Since straight hair gets greasy so often, it needs to be washed more than any other type of hair. You should try to wash your hair every other day, using dry shampoo in between.
- Use the right conditioner: You need to be careful with conditioners. If you use thick or creamy conditioners, your hair will get greasier.
Type Two: Wavy Hair
If your hair isn't curly, but it isn't straight, it may be classified as wavy hair, which is resistant to styling and prone to frizz. If you have wavy hair, you must follow a specific type of hair-care routine:
- Use Frizz-Preventing Products: Since you may have problems with frizz, you may want to use products that prevent frizz. This helps you style your waves, without dealing with the frizz.
- Don’t Play with It: You also need to avoid touching your hair. The more that you play with it, the frizzier it will get.
Type Three: Curly Hair
Curly hair has a definite S shape when you look at it closely. This is true, whether you use products in your hair or not. If you have curly hair, you will notice a definite difference when you the air is humid. Your hair will frizz more as the humidity rises. Curly hair is easily damaged, and if you don't take good care of it, your curls will look dull. To take care of your curly hair, follow this recommendation:
- Keep a Healthy Balance: Curly hair can be the hardest type of hair to style. If you use too many products, your hair will feel weighed down. If you don't use enough, your hair will become too frizzy. Because of this, you should always wash your hair and use conditioner and moisturizer.
Type Four: Kinky Hair
Kinky hair is characterized by a definite zig-zag pattern. Though it doesn't look like it, kinky hair is very fragile. Because this type of hair tends to be very dry, it can break easily. You need to use caution when dealing with your kinky hair. Here are some styling tips:
- Don’t use harsh products: You need to be very gentle with your kinky hair. Don't use harsh chemicals, and detangle it softly. If you are too rough, it will break. When you use styling products, you need to use products that have rich cream and butter in them. Natural oils are also helpful.
- Moisturize: Because kinky hair is so dry, you need to use a moisturizer every day.
Once you know the type of hair you have, you will know the best way to care for it. You can tailor the products that you use and figure out what is going to work best for you.Contact us if you are interested in straightening your hair to try something new!